Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
If you have already completed some study – or think you have work experience that has contributed to your learning – you can apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL) towards your Macquarie Business School (MGSM) program.
Recognition of prior learning at Macquarie Business School (MGSM) is enabled by Macquarie University’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Policy and is supported by Macquarie Business School (MGSM)’s RPL Management Plan.
It can be used to gain:
- entry or admission into a Macquarie Business School (MGSM) program of study
- credit towards unit(s) of study within a Macquarie Business School (MGSM) program, or
- a unit substitution, in which case the unit for which RPL is granted is replaced with a Macquarie Business School (MGSM) elective.
When to apply for RPL
You can apply for RPL if you have prior learning experience in management or a related field. Your experience can be from any country as long as it is relevant and has been gained within 10 years from the date of your application.
Applications are accepted throughout the year, however RPL will only be granted for the next or forthcoming semester when received by the specified deadline.
Types of prior learning experiences considered
We consider granting RPL for prior learning experiences gained in the following contexts:
- Formal learning through a structured program of learning that leads to the full or partial achievement of an officially accredited qualification, such as a degree from another institution or CPA.
- Non-formal learning through a structured program of learning which does not lead to a professionally accredited qualification, such as a MOOC certificate, Executive or Community education/ training, etc.
- Informal learning through work, social, family, hobby or leisure activities and experiences. Informal learning is not organised or externally structured in terms of objectives, time or learning support, such as volunteer experiences and self-employment, unlike formal or non-formal learning.
Non-formal and informal:
You must demonstrate that your prior learning (level and depth of knowledge, skills and application of knowledge and skills) satisfies the program specific ‘For entry AQF level prior learning equivalence criteria’ in Appendix 1 of the RPL Plan, by addressing how you meet the criteria in the RPL self-assessment report. The RPL self-assessment report must also be supported by a RPL referee report. (Both report templates are in the RPL application form.)
You must demonstrate that you have the relevant formal learning, by providing appropriate proof of completion such as an academic transcript or testamur.
Non-formal and informal:
You must demonstrate that your prior learning, (level and depth of knowledge, skills and application of knowledge and skills) satisfies at least one of the learning outcomes of the relevant Macquarie Business School (MGSM) program of study, in Appendix 2 of the RPL Plan, by addressing how you meet the criteria in the RPL self-assessment report. The RPL self-assessment report must also be supported by a RPL Referee report. (Both report templates are in the RPL application form.)
You must provide external course or unit outlines which closely resemble the Macquarie Business School (MGSM) units for which credit is sought. For RPL to be granted there must be at least a 75% match in content and volume of learning between the external subject and the Macquarie Business School (MGSM) unit.
Documentation to support your RPL application
You should submit supporting evidence for consideration by the academic reviewer with your RPL application. They will use it to ensure that your skills adequately match relevant MGSM admission requirements and/ or learning outcomes.
This table outlines the documents we encourage you to provide when applying for RPL.
|Type of prior learning||Formal||Non-formal||Informal|
|RPL application form||√||√||√|
|Self-assessment (e.g. RPL self-assessment report or personal statement)||√||√|
|Academic records (e.g. transcript, certificate(s) of achievement or attendance)||√||√|
|Other evidence (e.g. professional membership proof)||√||√|
How to apply
- Consider whether you meet the relevant criteria for an RPL grant.
- Collate and prepare the necessary documentation needed for an RPL application (to be provided in portfolio form).
- Ensure you provide official evidence to support your claims, for instance, certificates and/ or testamurs that are certified by a Justice of the Peace or Public Notary.
- Provide a complete RPL application to Macquarie Business School (MGSM) Student Services by the specified deadline.
You may be required to provide further information or participate in subsequent assessment processes such as a competency interview.
When will I receive the outcome of my application
Macquarie Business School (MGSM) will provide applicants with written notification of the RPL application outcome promptly and within 28 days from the date of Macquarie Business School (MGSM)'s acknowledgment of receipt of application notice.
Useful resources when applying for RPL
Have more questions? Please email Student Services or phone +61 2 9850 7829.